New Year's Quiz: 40 trick questions about Europe
31 December 2012
Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung
Three years of the euro crisis, 2013 is around the corner, and you still have some questions? So does essayist Hans Magnus Enzensberger. The outspoken critics of the Brussels bureaucracy has been inspired to draw up a quiz – with, of course, entirely objective questions. Have fun!
What’s it all about when an intelligent woman occupying a high position claims: “If the euro fails, Europe fails”?
1. A threat? Yes ☐ No ☐
2. A defensive statement? Yes ☐ No ☐
3. Or just a piece of stupidity? Yes ☐ No ☐
4. Do you feel that our continent still exists much as it always has, despite the reality that over the last two thousand years, the talent, the denarius, the guilder, the lira, the lepton and the Reichsmark have all perished? Yes ☐ No ☐
5. Do you know who invented the abbreviation “euro”, which before the end of the twentieth century no one had ever had to mouth? Yes ☐ No ☐
6. Are you capable of deciphering acronyms such as ECB, EFSF, ESM, EBA and IMF? Yes ☐ No ☐
Read the full article on the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung site
Factual or translation error? Tell us.